Tennis: Serena Williams Hopeful Of US Open Title Defence

Serena-in-the-final-of-the-Brisbane-tennis-4
Serena Williams has claimed that she expects to go far in the US Open, despite enduring an indifferent season.
The world number one has suffered early exits at all three previous Grand Slams this year, including a third-round defeat at Wimbledon.

However, after winning the Cincinnati Open last week, the American is hopeful of defending her title at Flushing Meadows.
“I played well in [Cincinatti], but this is a new week. These next two weeks I’m going to have to put that together for hopefully seven matches,” she is quoted as saying by Sky Sports News.
“If I can do that, I’ll definitely have a good chance to be in the tournament for a long time. But we’ll see. My expectations are always really high. I always expect the best from myself.”

Williams begins the defence of her title against fellow American Taylor Townsend.

Comments